February is National Heart Health Month – as athletes, we have the physical activity component of cardiovascular health down, but it’s important to pair our training with heart-healthy nutrition choices.
To celebrate heart health, we’re sharing one of our favorite nutrient-packed, heart-healthy recipes that has us dreaming of summer in a seemingly never-ending winter! This smoothie bowl is rich in antioxidants, healthy fats and fiber, all of which help to promote a healthy heart without falling short on taste!
Serving Size: ¾ cup
• 1 medium ripe avocado
• 1 cup ice
• ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
• ¾ cup unsweetened wild blueberries, thawed, save 1 tbsp for topping!
• ½ cup seedless unpeeled cucumber slices
• 2 tangerines peeled and separated into segments
• 2 tsp finely grated peeled ginger root
• 1 ½ tsp chia seeds
• 2 tbsp unsalted almond slices
• 8 small fresh basil leaves
• In a food processor or high-speed blender, process half the avocado, ice, almond milk, blueberries, 1/2 cup cucumber slices, tangerine zest, ginger root, and chia seeds for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is creamy.
• Pour the smoothie into serving bowls.
• Cut the remaining avocado half into thin slices. Arrange the slices in a fan shape on top of each smoothie bowl.
• Decoratively arrange the tangerine segments, almonds, and the remaining cucumber slices around the avocado fan. Garnish with the basil.
• Calories: 152
• Total Fat: 10g
• Saturated Fat: 1.5g
• Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g
• Monounsaturated Fat: 6.0g
• Carbohydrate: 16g
• Dietary Fiber: 6g
• Sugars: 8g
• Protein: 3g
Recipe Courtesy of American Heart Association
About the author: Stevie Lyn Smith is a Registered Dietitian at The Core Diet and is currently working on her MS in Applied Nutrition through Northeastern University. She is an eight-time Ironman Finisher, Ironman 70.3 World Championship qualifier, and 50-miler ultra marathon finisher. In her free time you can find her playing with her puppy or adventuring around the world! To learn more about The Core Diet and their services, check them out at https://www.thecorediet.com/services/.
View our size charts to see what size is best for you. After purchasing a new QR product, our team will reach out to you to confirm your order and sizing information to be sure you have selected the optimum size.
PRsix2 | PRsix | PRfive2 | PRfive | PRfour
HYDROsix Wetsuit | HYDROfive Wetsuit | HYDROspeed Swimskin