QR Athlete Kelly Fillnow answers a few questions we've had for her on her QR products she races and trains in. See what advantage she's gained by using her HYDROsix wetsuit and PRsix Disc!
Photo credit: James Mitchell Photography
1. What was it like to race in your new Quintana Roo HYDROsix wetsuit? I have loved racing in my Quintana Roo HYDROsix wetsuit as I feel smooth and strong in the water. I have a lot of mobility in my arms with the full sleeves. The wetsuit enabled me to reach a new level in the open water.
2. Did your swim improve, and if so, by how much? I had my fastest ocean water wetsuit swim by about two minutes. In my recent half ironman, I came out 4th age group, which is my highest to date.
3. How does the fit & feel of the HYDROsix compare to other wetsuit brands you’ve worn before? First of all, I do not have any anxiety putting on my HYDROsix before a race. I can easily put on the wetsuit by myself unlike previous wetsuits I had. The wetsuit feels comfortable and fast without any restrictions!
4. Did your HYDROsix allow for a quick transition to the bike? I was able to zip down my wetsuit in an efficient manner and the wetsuit strippers helped me to get the wetsuit off with ease. I had one of my faster transitions.
1. Before you made the switch to disc, you were riding a QR PRsix rim-brake bike. What are the main differences you’ve seen right off-of-the-bat between disc brakes and standard rim brakes? Both of my QR bikes have been fantastic. Since switching to QR, I’ve made significant bike gains. The biggest difference between the disc brakes and the standard rim brakes is that I feel safer riding with the disc brakes in rainy conditions. I've also noticed that I am faster descending because I can ride with confidence as I trust the superior stopping power.
2. Has your bike split improved since making the switch to disc brakes? My bike splits have improved a few minutes comparing similar courses and my ironman and half ironman power numbers have increased by about 5 watts.
3. What would you tell athletes who may be on the fence about making the switch to disc? And the ones who think disc brake inhibit their ability to ride faster / improve their bike splits?
I would encourage athletes who are racing challenging bike courses with lot’s of descending to switch to disc brakes. I would also tell athletes about the advantages of disc brakes in stormy weather with the superior stopping power and then ultimately you will be safer and faster. I also feel very aerodynamic on the bike as it’s very easy to adjust to your ideal fit. I really don’t see any disadvantages to switching to disc brakes, so I would definitely encourage athletes to go for it!
View our size charts to see what size is best for you. After purchasing a new QR bicycle, our team will reach out to you to confirm your order and sizing information to be sure you have selected the optimum size.
V-PR | X-PR
PRsix2 | PRsix | PRfive2 | PRfive | PRfour
SRsix | SRfive